Taking into account current guidelines and action being taken by universities and other educational and training organisations, we as a school have taken the bold step to keep courses running and we have put into action our back up plan.
We have in place an effective learning platform, that allows us as a school to operate as near normal as possible, until such time as restrictions on social contact have been lifted or downgraded.
For anyone who is wanting to sign up for one of our courses, but is unsure – here is how we plan to operate:-
Information for Level 3 Diplomas & Certificates in:
- Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology
- Sports Massage
In general – theoretical knowledge, including anatomy, physiology, pathology and some holistic massage, sports massage and reflexology theory will delivered into students’ own homes, interactively, using learning software called ZOOM (download it here: https://zoom.us/download).
ZOOM allows every student to have full visual and auditory access to lessons using a webinar facility, using a unique access code, which will be supplied by the school on enrolment.
All mobile devices can access ZOOM, including smartphones, tablets and laptops/PCs and with data or Wi-Fi access.
All sessions will be delivered in real time, as though students were in class – they will be broadcast at similar scheduled class times, as already planned for classroom training. Due to the nature of on-line learning, the individual classes may be shorter in duration and more frequent, delivered in sensible bite sized segments to ensure everyone gets the most from each lecture.
Anatomy, Physiology & Pathology, Massage, Sports Massage and Reflexology Theory Topics
- Due to the hands-on nature of the practical therapies, our plan is to front load the courses with the theory elements of the syllabus. Using the interactive webinar facility students can participate from the comfort of their home, as we cover the information needed to complete some of the course assignments and expand on the knowledge needed to develop as a professional therapist.
- Classes will be taught remotely via interactive webinar video sessions, allowing life and learning to continue as normally as is possible, with you able to participate from your own environment in a way that you can control/ influence yourself.
- Students will have full access to our unique A&P training manual (digital PDF) plus live A&P classes with Helen plus the Business aspects with Trevor.
- Other theory topics will follow auditory and visual teaching, led by tutors:-
Helen Cameron-Lee (A&P)
Suzannah Agrippa (Holistic Massage)
Trevor Gorard (Sports Massage)
Joseph O’ Dwyer (Sports Massage)
Julie Quinn (Reflexology)
- Log on times will be made clear on enrolment and students simply log on to gain full access to training. Questions and answers from students will, as in class, be possible and group participation is very much possible as part of learning.
- Regular breaks will be taken, so that training can be delivered in manageable segments – home assignments can be set and all course work will be marked and returned by email.
Practical learning using Zoom for the Complementary Therapy Diplomas:- the Massage (Holistic) & Reflexology Diplomas
- We will offer a ‘sneaky peak’ into some basic massage/ reflexology strokes, allowing students to participate from home.
- We’ll demonstrate different styles of massage couches, their usage, offering advice and guidance on their purchase with some unique discount codes.
- We’ll show you how to protect your joints and use correct posture whilst treating your clients, discuss oils, professionalism and how to treat safely for client and therapist.
Specific Information for Diploma in Sports Massage
- Our plan is to front load the course with the theory elements of the sports syllabus.
- Using the interactive webinar facility students can participate from the comfort of their home, as we cover the information needed to complete the course assignments and expand on the knowledge needed to develop as a professional therapist.
- Students will receive the sports massage course manual as a digital pdf prior to the webinar sessions – reference to the manual will be made throughout the interactive webinar sessions.
- The sessions will offer plenty of opportunity for questions and clarification.
- Sessions will be in sensible bite size segments to ensure everyone gets the most from each lecture.
- We will cover Anatomy and Physiology, Professional Practice, Soft Tissue Injuries and Dysfunction including tissue repair in addition to the Principles of Health, Fitness and Nutrition.
Practical Massage Skills for Diploma in Sports Massage
Given the nature of Sports massage and the individual development and delivery of each student, we have decided to keep these skills as in-class tutor led sessions. The practical classes will be timetabled once the current situation Coronavirus situation is under control and we have clear and safe guidelines from the government in the next month or so.
Our reasoning here is twofold:
- We would like to ensure that each student is taught the correct biomechanics from the beginner of their learning to avoid bad habits creeping into their practice. This would include posture and the safety of joints such as the wrists and fingers.
- The finer details of muscle tone and texture are specific to each person being massaged – we as tutors would prefer to discuss and tailor the hand skills of the student on a one to one basis.
So, SNT continues with business as usual for now and has a back-up plan for teaching your courses in this way – but if you have any questions or require any further clarification please do not hesitate to contact us by telephone and we will do our best to answer any questions you may have.
Once government restrictions have been lifted, normal classroom sessions can continue bringing it all together in preparation for the exam. We would encourage students to continue to enrol as life must continue in some adapted shape or form.
We look forward to hearing from you.