This is a 1 day course.
IASTM is a technique, which employs rigid tools, to provide a mobilising effect on soft tissue. This reduces scar tissue and is very effective in starting the healing process, by activating fibroblasts.
Pain is decreased and range of motion (ROM) and function is improved.
The tool is a very effective means of sensing and understanding the quality and state of our client’s presenting soft tissue during examination – additionally, it reduces strain on the therapist’s hands, thus helping to prolong the career of the manual therapist.
Specific studies have shown promising results for the use of an IASTM tool, in reducing pain, whilst improving range of motion (ROM) in acute and chronic injuries.
Using instruments for soft tissue mobilisation has demonstrated the increase in vibration, which is sensed by the clinician and patient. It is thought that this increased perception of vibration may facilitate the clinician’s ability to detect altered tissue properties (e.g., identify tissue adhesions) while facilitating the patient’s awareness of altered sensations within the treated tissues.
In this course you will learn that this non-invasive treatment is not about breaking up tissue but about starting a process of tissue remodelling.
To summarise, IASTM is used to: –
- Reduce scar tissue
- Help start the healing process.
- Decrease pain
- Improve range of motion and function.
The IASTM tool used in this course has been designed by the course tutor, Greg Farmer and is customised for use, both during and after the course, based on his knowledge and experience of best practice. Students will need to purchase this tool in order to undertake this course – the instrument is sold at a discounted cost.
For further information, please see the Course Fees tab.
During this course, we will cover: –
- Theory and correct usage of the IASTM tool
- Benefits of IASTM
- Contra-Indications to IASTM usage
- Where and when to use the tool
- Lots of hands-on practice, covering various areas and muscle groups
Course cost £367 – which includes the tool set
A deposit of £37.00 will secure your place.
Once the deposit has been received, a confirmation email with additional course details will be sent to you.
The course balance (£335.00) will be due prior to the course start. This can be paid in instalments as long as fully paid prior to the day – please discuss this with your tutor when you receive your acknowledgement if you need to.
- Comprehensive Manual exclusive to The School of Natural Therapies
- The IASTM Tool Set
- Diploma from The School of Natural Therapies (Think Tree Hub Accredited)
- A friendly and relaxed learning environment
- 10 CPD points towards insurance and professional association requirements.
THE IASTM TOOL SET
- Made from high quality Stainless Steel 316L.
- Custom designed, tested and modified to our specification with multiple samples over 12 months by the course tutor.
- Each tool has multiple edges to aid in tissue response and giving the practitioner greater feedback.
- Laser cut grips to feel secure when using with oil on hands.
- The handlebar tool is full size, not mini, and comes with the set as standard. No extra charge for the pro size bar.
- Continuous assessment throughout the course.
- End of day assessment of identification and correct application of techniques.