ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology for the Complementary Therapist QN 603/4094/0
Qualification gained: ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology
This course is open to existing therapists or beginners. Beginners will need to undertake an Anatomy & Physiology qualification alongside this course.
The School of Natural Therapies’ ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology Course provides an exciting, dynamic and thoroughly enjoyable learning experience for all students undertaking one of our internationally recognised diplomas. The course is open to experienced complementary health practitioners, or complete beginners. Whatever your background, it provides a vital ‘stepping stone’ for candidates wanting to move into the rapidly growing field of complementary health.
With a long-standing reputation for learning excellence and on-going tutor support, the School of Natural Therapies’ prides itself on ensuring that students are well prepared for the ITEC Diploma examination. On successful completion of the examination, post graduate students will be able to begin a new career or earn additional income in a number of different ways.
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is the ancient art of applying pressure to the feet and hands using specific thumb, finger and hand techniques – it is based on a system of ten ‘zones’ and ‘reflex areas’, that reflect an image of the body on the feet and hands. Its function is to affect a physical healing and changes to homeostasis by releasing ‘blockages’ and restoring the free-flow of energy through the body.
The therapy was developed by Eunace Ingham in the mid to late twentieth century; however, the principles of treating the body holistically (Literally – as a whole) using lines of energy, date back thousands of years.
In the tomb of Ankhamor, there are a series of pictures, illustrating what seems to be a similar art to Reflexology, whereby a physician is holding and manipulating both feet and hands. In today’s stressful lifestyles, more and more people are reaping the benefits of the art of Reflexology.
What are the benefits of Reflexology?
Research has shown the specific techniques of reflexology to be effective and beneficial in many ways, it:
- It relieves stress and creates relaxation – 75% of disease is thought to be stress related.
- In order for the body to maintain ‘homeostasis’, it needs energy in the form of oxygen and nutrients, which are circulated in the blood. Reflexology increases blood circulation, it increases the efficiency of cells and therefore organs.
- It helps to prelease trapped nervous energy and improves neural pathways – somewhere in the region of 7000 nerves are stimulated through reflexology massage.
- It improves the elimination of waste material, which can be harmful to the body if it accumulates.
- It activates ‘self-healing’ in the body
- Pain reduction – documented in 27 studies including research showing impact on individuals of all ages and health states
- Aids post-operative recovery: Reflexology work aids recovery after surgery as shown by several studies, reducing pain and lessening the use of post-operative analgesics.
- Complements cancer care: Pain, nausea, vomiting, and/or anxiety eased for chemotherapy patients following reflexology work as shown by16 studies from 7 countries.
- Eases pregnancy, delivery and post-partum effects: Women who received reflexology experienced shorter labour times and used less analgesia. In addition, reflexology showed a positive impact on postpartum depression, anxiety, urination and bowel movements.
The ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Reflexology is a fast track, intensive course of study designed for those wishing to build the base from which to develop a career in alternative therapies.
The course is run by enthusiastic, dedicated ITEC professionals, who teach not because they can do but because they love to. The Diploma comprises of 4 independent units (for complete beginners) or just some of those units if applicants already hold an acceptable qualification in Anatomy, Physiology & Pathology or another ITEC level 3 Complementary Therapy Diploma within the past 3 years . Please contact us is you are unsure and we will be happy to guide you.
Unit iUCT29 – Provide Reflexology for Complementary Therapies
(Candidates will be assessed on this unit by a 1-hour practical examination.)
- Learn how to prepare for a Reflexology treatment and perform and adapt the reflexology treatment to suit individual clients with different needs and requirements.
- Students will also provide evidence of 60 treatments and 40 case studies.
Unit – iUCT38 – Knowledge of Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology for Complementary Therapies
(Multiple choice theory test 50 questions on exam day – 55 minute paper, taken alongside the practical exam for unit 380)
Human Anatomy and Physiology and Pathology for Complementary Therapies, covering all major systems and their functions, incorporating:
- Cell Structure, Tissue and Skin Cellular Composition
- Muscular and Skeletal Systems
- Cardiovascular – Heart and Blood Circulation
- Lymphatic System – Lymph glands and production of Tissue Fluid
- Neurological System – Brain and Nervous System
- Endocrine System – Hormonal producing organs and role of hormones in the human body
- Respiratory System – Lungs and air pathways
- Digestive System
- Genito-Urinary System – Kidneys and water metabolism
- Reproductive System
Unit iUCT29 – Principles and Practice of Complementary Therapies
(Assignment based learning which allows the student to research four other complementary therapies in the form of four assignments – these will be submitted and marked internally by the school)
Unit iUCT34 – Business Practice for Complementary Therapies
(Assignment based learning – students will write their own business plan in relation to a holistic business – internally marked and assessed by the school)
There is also an optional study unit, which can be taken in addition to the above course and will benefit the student by: –
Unit iUCT29 – Healthy Eating and Well Being for the Complementary Therapy Client – Please note that this course does not form part of the above course, but can be taken if desired as a separate unit during the course. Students may wish to study this unit in order to enhance their Holistic Massage Diploma and earn additional learner credits through Ofqual. Successful candidates my want to offer nutritional advice as part of their new practice and may adopt the status of ‘Nutritional Adviser’.
Those undertaking this additional unit will be able to:
- Evaluate the client’s present eating habits in line with current healthy eating guidelines
- Provide general information and nutritional advice, in order to maintain health and well-being
- Explain the factors that should be considered when planning healthy eating for the Complementary Therapy Client.
Level 3 Reflexology Unit ONLY £799.00 + £105 exam fee (if you have already achieved the other 3 mandatory Units, A&P, Principles & Business for Complementary Therapies)
A deposit of £160.00 will secure your place.
Course fees may be paid in full or the balance may be spread over three monthly instalments of £226.00 (This includes a 5% admin fee)
The course fees include the following:
- Guided learning in class with tutor support.
- Direction and support for home study.
- Comprehensive course notes in PDF format that you can download onto a tablet to bring with you to class or print off at home to bring along if you prefer
- A4 pad and pen
- Advice, guidance and discount with choosing and purchasing a quality Reflexology chair and equipment
- A friendly and relaxed learning environment
- A selection of discounted relevant Reflexology textbooks available to purchase at student rates
Please note that an ITEC registration & examination fee of £105.00 is also payable within the first 3 months of the course.
If you need to take the other 3 units too please enrol on our ITEC Level 3 Certificate in Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology £599 which will cover everything you need or please call us to discuss your situation and we will advise the best possible route for you to take
What are the entry requirments for this course?
To undertake this course, you’ll need to check whether you’ll need to undertake any additional units, which may be required to fulfil the requirements of ITEC, in order to receive your diploma.
This may include Anatomy & Physiology if you don’t already hold a recognised diploma – there are two further units which comprise of the Business unit, which we cover in a full training day and an assignment where students are asked to research four other complementary therapies.
If you already hold a recognised level 3 Diploma in Anatomy and Physiology, you may be exempt from this unit – but best to check with us to make sure that it will be recognised for ITEC requirements. You can do this by emailing us, by calling us for an informal chat, on 0203 544 6544, or you can Skype us too.
Similarly, if you have recently studied other complementary therapies, such as massage or aromatherapy, with a UK recognised awarding body, you may be exempt from the Business unit – again it is a good idea to check this out with us.
If you don’t hold any of these prior qualifications, we will be pleased to accept you onto this course as a complete beginner with no prior experience. You will need to register also for our Anatomy & Physiology Diploma as well, which incurs additional fees of course.
ITEC Practical Reflexology Examination – 1 hour
- ITEC Anatomy, Physiology and Pathology – the paper is 50 ‘multiple choice’ questions in 55 minutes. (unless you hold this qualification, or its equivalent already)
- The Business unit is assignment based and after attending our additional business day, you will be required to submit a small business plan, which is assessed internally by the tutor and verified by the visiting ITEC examiner on exam day.
- The Principles unit is assignment based and requires the student to research and write up four short reports on four different complementary therapies. This is assessed internally by the tutor and verified by the visiting ITEC examiner on exam day.
Amanda Cahill (From October 2022)
I had a wonderful experience with SNT when I enrolled for my Reflexology course. All the support was offered since day one and I couldn’t feel more motivated. Although it was challenging some times I had all the guidance and advise from my tutors and that’s what makes SNT a great school!
I will be coming back in a near future to built new skills and knowledge in a place that I feel so welcomed.
I am now a Certified Reflexologist and I have the confidence that I need to put myself out there. 💚
Mariza Indei (August 12, 2023)
Amanda was a great tutor in Reflexology. She not only mentored us but also she gave us a solid insight in what being a reflexologist means.
She also provided a great support and guidance in the building of our portfolio of case studies.
Thank you Amanda and the School of Natural Therapies.
Dora Aram (August 12, 2023)
Fantastic! I had been wanting to study level 3 in reflexology for a good few years, the course is highly recommended on the AOR website for reflexology.
this is by far one of the best course’s I have ever studied, even now on passing my course I’m still pinching myself. From start to finish the course is packed with lots of theory and practical’s to help you understand the concept and knowledge behind this wonderful therapy.
so pleased I found this course and undertook it, best thing I have ever done.
Nicola Anne Tyrell (August 12, 2023)
I cannot recommend this course enough. It was taught by an amazing teacher, Julie and the adaptations made by the school were fantastic considering the challenges that covid19 presented. In a true spirit of ‘keep calm and carry on’, the course was delivered with professionalism and dedication to the students. Julie not only imparted knowledge but also kindled our enthusiasm for reflexology and the fact that it is a ‘little bit of magic’. I consider myself lucky to have completed the course and I can’t wait to start using my skills to help and support the wellbeing of others.
Carola Evans (January 27, 2021)
I have completed both the A&P course and most recently the Reflexology qualification. I can’t recommend both courses enough. In a year which has been like no other, with the added challenge of covid and lockdown restrictions, they have delivered an outstanding course. Our tutor was extremely knowledgeable, approachable and supportive at all times. The organisation to ensure that the course content was taught (bearing all restrictions in mind) was phenomenal and I would highly recommend this school to anybody who would like to further develop their abilities and knowledge. Reflexology is a little bit of magic and I for one, am very glad that I can now help to improve peoples wellbeing by carrying out these treatments. I look forward to attending other courses in the future, especially if they do an aromatherapy course. Well done SNT! You have Kept Calm And Carried On in the current stormy climate.
Carola Evans (January 20, 2021)
I would highly recommend studying at the SNT for the ITEC Diploma in Reflexology. The reflexology class size was small and our tutor Julie Quinn was very approachable and experienced. Helen, our A & P tutor made the classes really enjoyable, taught in a clear, organised way and gave us excellent exam prep. The business module was also very comprehensively covered by Trevor. Overall a great experience.
Laura Newry (January 14, 2020)